Thursday, March 18, 2010

Oscars Roll Call

With the Oscar's over the last week or so, husband and I have now watched 2 movies that were hot at the Oscar's - they were The Blind Side and The Hurt Locker.


For those of you have been living on an island somewhere but yet managed to get internet connection to find this blog and yet don't know about the Blind Side, it's the movie that Sandra Bullock won her Best Actress Oscar for. And The Hurt Locker won Best Film, yuppps, beating Avatar, the highest ever grossing movie, which surpassed James Cameron's own Titanic.

I liked The Blind Side... didn't know it was based on a true story about Michael Oher who currently plays offensive defense for the Baltimore Ravens. Somehow, there's something about american football movies.. it never fails to inspire and I think I got a headache at the end of the movie having held back my tears for almost a good 2 hours. I can relate the sportmanship and all the emotional stuff that movies like these try to depict (think Any Given Sunday to name another one), having been involved in dragonboat rowing, which in my opinion, is a similarly emotionally engaging sport.

▲ picture of one of the crews I had rowed with.... :) think that was when we 
won the State Finals (location: Penrith, the same site for the rowing events of 
the Sydney Olympics in year 2000)

So if you hadn't watched this, I'd say go and watch it. It was good, nothing like I had imagined... I was expecting a dreary, miserable, tear jerking movie where Sandra Bullock plays a mom who adopts a homeless, orphaned African American boy. Thank goodness it was nothing like that.

picture of the real Michael Oher with his adopted parents

Moving on to The Hurt Locker.... this movie was quite watchable as well. I thought it was going to be another slow movie... not a huge fan of war movies... though, hurm.... I can think of a few that I did think were good - Saving Private Ryan, the one with Meg Ryan and Denzel Washington what was that one called now.... Anyhow, let's just say that war movies are not usually my first genre choice.


Anyways... the movie started off pretty interesting.... it basically follows the daily lives of these few officers who belong to a bomb detonating squad stationed in Iraq. But we started the movie late at night, and halfway through I had to go sleep... not because it wasn't interesting, I was just tired. And I watched the 2nd half of the movie the following day, but was distracted with doing other things... so wasn't paying too much attention. So from the bits that i was paying attention to, I think I'd rate this movie a pass. And well done to Kathryn Bigelow for being the first woman ever to win an Oscar for Best Director!

By the way, just read on the Sydney Morning Herald that Sandra Bullock is having marital troubles with husband who allegedly had an affair with some tattooed woman (who has a tattoo on her forehead and was an aspiring medical officer... ermmm....ya, pretty obvious why her medical career didn't take off). Apparently, Sandy seems to be part of a long line of the Best Actress Oscar curse - Kate Winslet just split from her husband and the others include, Gwyneth Paltrow (from then husband Ben Affleck, though Ben and Jennifer Garner do make a cuter couple - sorry Gwyneth), Hillary Swank from Chad Lowe, Julia Roberts from Benjamin Bratt and also Reese Witherspoon from Ryan Phillipe (and she's looking way hotter after her split!).

▲ Sandy holding her Oscar in a gorgeous gold dress on the left and Sandy
as Leanne Touhy in The Blind Side on the right

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails